Barnominium

Barnominium

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wine!

I wish I could take the credit for this project, but I can't.  I saw the bottle rack on Pinterest.  One of the reasons that I decided to do this project thou, was I needed the cabinet door to fill a hole.  (We will  talk about that later).  This is a perfect spot for the wine rack.  I have three doors across this area, so we took down the middle one, which was the Exact size I needed for the other project.


This is EASY EASY!  I used a 4" PVC Pipe.  Warning, check the wine bottles that you usually buy, they all will not fit.  Wish I had known this.  I did take one bottle and checked to make sure it fit in the pipe, but another bottle from the same company would not.  And if you purchase the bigger bottles of wine, you will need to go to a bigger Pipe.  You can see in the picture one of the bottles that doesn't fit.

This was a PVC pipe that I already had out behind the barn, so I washed with soap and water.

I cut mine 11".  I measured the depth of my upper cabinets and checked that against the wine bottles.  Don't take my word for it.  Check your cabinets.

I used a Miter Saw to cut my PVC, because it was the easiest thing for me to use, but you could use a circular saw. I measured one piece at a time and cut.  I suppose you could measure them all out at once, but I thought by measure, cut, measure, my pipes would be more precise in length. Simple, Simple. 

The pipes can be stacked in a number of ways.  I chose to stack them in a pyramid shape. By doing this, I didn't have to use any fasteners.  If you want to lay them out in a different pattern, you can purchase velco stick ons.

I wanted mine red! I stuffed the end full of newspaper and stood them up on the other end.  I used a spray paint made for plastic.  After one coat of paint, I stacked them the way I wanted and sprayed them again, until I was happy with the color.  A little paint did filter into the end of the pipe....:(  I used acetone to get the red paint off, leaving the inside white.

Now for the install.  I just stacked them in the shelf.  I was scared that they might shift with taking bottles in and out.  So, I found a piece of wood about 6" long and about the thickness of a shim board and attached it to the shelf  in a manner that it lodges up under the first PVC on each side. Like a brace.   Does that make sense?  It just keeps the bottom row from rolling.

The Stemware Holder was ordered off of Amazon.com.  It is the Rev A Shelf Stemware Holder 11".
I ordered 4, but after they came in, we decided to only install 3 of them, leaving a little space between each one.  They can be mounted flush were they touch each other.

Then I added a little greenery with grapes.  That finished the look and I love it!  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I envy your DIY ability. It's a talent I don't possess. :(

    ReplyDelete