Barnominium

Barnominium

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Diets.......

     Another, New Years resolution for many of you.  Go on a Diet. I have been on a diet all my life!

     I have watched my weight, all my life.  When, I was 18 and weighed 120, in my 20's,125 lbs, then a divorce in 1989, I got down to 115.  First time ever, I didn't have a bubble butt. (This is not a recommended diet) Then, in my 30's, 130lbs. But, even with keeping an eye on it, I have gained weight over the years. Your body changes and you have to change the way you eat.  I use to say, I can eat whatever I want.  But, that didn't mean that I really ate whatever I wanted.  I ate what I wanted in moderation......If I wanted a cookie, I would have 2-3 cookies, not half a bag, a piece of cake, not a quarter of the cake.  Now, at age 50, I eat less than I ever have in my life and can pack on a few pounds in a day.  My weight can fluctuate 5 lbs from one given day to the other.  So, I try not to get to hung up on the scale. But, I do weigh daily.  I have one size of jeans in my closet, and if they get snug, I have to do something about it.  I am not purchasing a new, bigger size.....I might grow into to them.  I have always had a FEAR of being overweight.  Five pounds is easier than taking off 10+.  With our second child I struggled getting the last 10lbs off, even as active as I was. So, it seems, I have been watching 5lbs all my life.  If I got 5lbs over my desired weight, I got it off......But somehow, I have packed on 5lbs x 4 over the years.......Yikes, kinda hard to type that!

So, what am I doing now.......I am not Dieting......I am changing the way I eat.  I don't say, "I am on a Diet," I feel negative, when I say that.  I feel that saying "I am changing the way I eat," is positive. Positive energy is a good thing.  I say, "I wish to be thinner," Not, "I have to loose some weight."

I have many friends that have been fighting cancer for the last couple of years, so I looked up the Cancer Diet.  One of the biggies, Sugar & Processed foods is cancer culprits. Sugar feeds cancer. Other diets suggest cutting these out of your diet as well.  I have also read your body does not know the difference between sugar and sugar replacements. Bummer, Right? I also looked up, Eating for Your Blood Type.  One thing this diet says for Blood Type 0, is that White Potatoes, put weight on you and Corn causes arthritis.  I have noticed in the past, that cutting out the potatoes, helped me to lose weight.  I don't know what diet this comes from, But it says, "Don't eat anything that you feed your livestock to fatten them for market."

So, I stated, "I wish to be thinner." What am I doing different?

 I use to drink a ton of Diet Coke. I didn't think that I could give them up.... I don't even really know when it happened, but I quit drinking them.  Now, I really don't care for them.  I only have a Coke with my Crown Royal.  I drink water. Your body gets use to something and sends you signals for another and another. The body gets in a habit or mine does.....If, I had a Little Debbie's Brownie with a Diet Coke about 9am, Tomorrow, I would want one around 9am.  (This use to be breakfast.) If I have a Crown & Coke around 5pm today, Tomorrow, I will want one....that doesn't mean I will, but I have the urge.  In the mornings, what do you think of?  I have to have my coffee, then another cup.  I was having two Big Cups of French Vanilla Cappuccino. That was with 3 heaping Tablespoons in each one.  Now, I am having One regular cup with 2 Tablespoons. Bottom line, you can consume a whole lot of calories, and sugar replacements in a days time.

What, I am eating different?  I am just trying to be conscious of what I eat......I am not huge on chips, cookies or candy.   Oh, I didn't say that I don't like them or even love them. But, I just don't...just occasionally, like with Mexican, Special occasions, Cake.  If, I could eat them and not put on pound, I would and have in the past, when I was younger.  Now, here is the biggie on sweets & chips.  My family eats them every day.  My husband of 21 years has maybe gained 10lbs during our marriage.  We get in the car to go somewhere, he wants to know, what is in the car to snack on.  It is a wonder that I am not any bigger than I am. He will get Ice Cream at night and sit down next to me on the couch.  Yep, I love Ice Cream, but rarely eat it.

I do Love Food!  All diets, say eat 5-6 times a day.  Really? I use to eat only twice a day.  I have never been a big breakfast person, except on vacations & weekends. But, now, I eat a bowl of Mini Wheats, a bowl of Oatmeal, or maybe an egg with toast in the morning.  They say this is important for your metabolism.  Then your suppose to have a snack, lunch, a snack, supper.  Whew, I am not there on that.  I have tried to start eating more apples or other fruits.  For lunch, I try to stay under 200 calories.  Soup is a really good option here.  And, for Supper.  Portion control, No Seconds....Nope I didn't say the seconds don't happen sometimes, but I try to refrain.  Thinking, "I want to be thinner."  I use to eat a LOT of Baked potatoes, Love them.  I switched to Sweet Potatoes. When, we have gone out to eat, always a baked potato with my meal.  The last time that we dined out, I had broccoli instead.  I am just trying to change things up, a little at a time and I hope it helps in the long run.

 Today, Jan 22, 2013, I am 50 years old, 5'5" and weigh 144 lbs. I always put on several pounds in the winter.  I try to stay around 140 and would love to be 135 lbs.  My jeans are comfortable, but 140- is my goal. So, I wish you good luck with your diet and I would love to hear your story.  Feel free to make comments and let me know what you have going on.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks my friend. I just have to be constantly watching it. I watch what I eat, I exercise and pounds follow me around, waiting to jump on my hips! Bob eats what he wants, never exercises and doesn't gain weight. It could Piss a girl off, LOL!

    ReplyDelete