Barnominium

Barnominium

Monday, December 29, 2014

Converting a Roll Top Desk....into a Bar......

How many of you own a roll top desk?  Meeee......It was one of the first pieces of furniture that I purchased.  Actually, I think I was maybe around 19 years old.   There was a solid oak store in town that carried finished and unfinished oak furniture.  I loved that store.  So, I have had this piece a very long time and it is a piece that I simply can't seem to part with......I was so proud of it.  I stained and finished by myself at such a young age.




It has been sitting in the same spot in this home (the barnominium) for 10 years and it has been a junk catcher.  The drawers were full and lots of stuff hidden under the roll top.  You and I know.... everyone has a place, a closet, something that seems to catch it all.  The desk sits in this kinda hall, but bigger than a hall between my office and the kitchen. I don't know what the heck the room was suppose to be...... 

Anyway, if you have read any of the previous post, I have been on the moving furniture binge.  I moved the living room furniture around, got rid of a couple of pieces, which allowed enough room to move the dining table into the den. Then I needed something in the kitchen, so I made an island bar out of pallets.  Now the imagination was on a roll.

I decided to turn this little unknown room into a drink station.  Backing up.......When we purchased this place and was doing the renovation, I had a hole cut in the wall between this room and the kitchen for a bar.  I purchased some really nice bars stools.  No one.....ever....sat over there!  Since, I made the island bar and moved the bar stools, it opened this little room up to be something else.  Thus, the idea, of a drink station and move traffic out of my little kitchen.

I decided to make the desk into a bar.  First, I had thought about taking the roll top off.  After further inspection, that was not possible, as it actually sits down into the top of the desk. OK, so I was leaving it alone..... I cleaned out the roll top, cleaned out the drawers, well most the drawers.  Some stuff had to stay.  My husband uses one for his wallet and such.

I decided to use some the paint that I had painted the island with and painted the back wall inside the roll top to brighten things up a bit.  I also, painted the sides of one of the drawers for a pop of color.  I was rolling......I used the same Turquoise paint on that Red wall behind the desk.  I love it!  On the wall I used the dry brush technique.


looking in from the kitchen
Looking thru pass thru
A trip to the winery to restock.


I used what I had...and that was a clear platter, a peice of scrapping paper and a D ran off on the computer.  At some point, I will get something to replace it.

 I've got other bar tools, but they didn't make it into the drawer before the picture.

 Stocked the lower drawer with Grapefruit, Pineapple and Apple juice...Well some extra wine as well.

And the best thing about the bar in the desk.....I can shut it down!



The OTHER side of the room:




That is the sofa table sitting below the counter, that came out of the Living Room.  It is being used here temporarily.  Over Christmas, I had two more coffee pots set up and of course the coffee.  I am thinking that I will look for a buffet or add cabinets here for more storage....or maybe nothing.  Any thoughts?

looking into the kitchen

Thanks for dropping by, leave a comment and let me know that you were here.......

No comments:

Post a Comment