Although it was in good shape when we purchased it, we still want to make it our own. The front of the house is looking pretty good. Now that the weather has cooled, it was time to tackle the rotted trim around the exterior windows of the sunroom. We had already decided to put Cedar trim back up to continue the cedar shutter theme. The house has vinyl trim, but the sunroom siding is a wood/composite siding. I decided it needed a little pop! I have never really been a green fan, but some of the brick has a green tint to it. I had gotten some paint chips from Lowes and I picked two colors of green. Then, I went and had samples mixed up ($3 each) and painted a sample on the wall. Then it was Eeny, meeny, miny, moe....First, we like the lighter one, then we liked the darker one. Finally, I picked the darker green.
|See the rotted trim|
|Popped the trim off and started cleaning.|
|See the gaps that were filled...|
We took off a week for this trip, and we knew this was a pretty big project, painting and cutting new trim, BUT I didn't think about all the caulking that may have to be done around the windows before trim and AFTER trim. If your going to do it, Do It right.
My husband and father pre-cut all the trim and marked on the back as to what window and side it was for. My mom stained and I painted. Because the cedar was wider than regular trim, we decided to trim out both windows together, with one wide board down the middle. This board had to have width cut off.....That is when they discovered that the windows were off a bit. The bottom of the windows were not the same width apart as the top of the windows.....Looking back. We would have stained all the wood first, then put the middle piece in and then cut each trim piece right before it went up. Even thou they measured, because the windows were not quite square, a few boards came up short. Oh well, like 3 boards....I will find something to do with them.
|One of the boards that came up short, back to the store.|
Finally, FINISHED!.........Well, now I need to clean the gutters and paint the doors...Now, they really look bad, since everything else is so fresh! One project always leads to another.